So my parents are in town, and about two days ago, the stomach bug hit Aria, then my dad, then my mom, and it finally hit me early yesterday morning. Not cool, man. NOOOTTT COOOOL.
Anywho, I’m finally feeling better (all the praise hands) and I thought I’d use this quick break from editing my most recent family photo shoots to share with you some of my favorite cleaner and safer personal care products for the kids in your life! I have two of them, and I don’t know about you, but I (for the most part) like mine clean :D.
For those of you who know me, you know that I’m a Beautycounter consultant (or, maybe you didn’t–now you do!). It’s a company that makes personal care and beauty products that are cleaner and safer–banning over 1500 potentially harmful chemicals and toxins from all products while advocating for legislative change, so that everyone can access safer products (Factoid: the U.S. only currently bans 30 potentially harmful chemicals and toxins whereas the EU bans over 1400+ and Canada bans 600+). Part of being a consultant is educating others on how to choose cleaner and safer products–Beautycounter and otherwise! We know that not everyone wants/is able to order Beautycounter, so sharing about other brands that are doing a great job providing better products for our families is also our jam!
Starter tips for finding cleaner and safer products:
I know it can be SUPER overwhelming when it comes to changing a way of doing something. A lot of us are under the impression that we need to do a complete overhaul of our products, and that’s just not the case. In fact, that’s not even sustainable! And if there’s something I’m incredibly passionate about is making small changes that are sustainable, which leads to longterm change. Say it with me now: Baby steps=Big change.
Here are the three Ps (and an S) I like to start off with that you should avoid when looking for safer swaps:
- Parabens: ingredients used as preservatives and have been linked to cancer and hormone disruption.
- PEGs/PPGs: ingredients used that are often contaminated with ethylene oxide (a carcinogen: AKA a cancer causing substance)
- Parfum (Fragrance): synthetic ingredients that are used to make your products smell good. The issue is that “fragrance” is an industry secret and is an umbrella for 3000 chemicals and toxins that don’t need to be disclosed. These ingredients can cause asthma, allergic reactions, hormone disruption, mood shifts, and even cancer. Look for products that are unscented or use natural fragrance (like essential oils).
- Sulfates: ingredient used to help soap products suds up. The downside to this ingredient is that it can be an irritant to skin, especially sensitive kiddo skin.
You basically get to be a detective and keep an eye out for the bad guys. It might feel like a pain in the butt at first, but trust me, it’ll get easier as you keep doing it. Your eyes will spot the culprits faster and faster, and before long, it’ll be second nature!
Cleaner and Safer Picks for the Kiddos
All these picks below are made without the icky stuff I listed above. These products range in price, and I’ve used all of these on my kiddos.
- Alaffia Bubble Bath — This is hands down our favorite bubble bath! It’s sudsy, smells great, and is made of all the good stuff.
- Beautycounter Kids Bath Collection — This collection includes the shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. These bottles might look small, but they last FOREVER! The conditioner is magical–it does wonders on tangly kid hair! These products are also great for grown-ups, so they’re really versatile! Hack: The conditioner works great as a shaving cream ;). This set also makes for a great gift.
- Puracy Natural Children’s Body Wash — Here’s another great safer option for your kiddos! I’ve also used their laundry detergent and am a fan!
- Everyone Kids Soap — I don’t know about you, but I’m weird about baths. I clean the kids with this kids soap before I put them in a bubble bath (Who wants to steep in their own grime?). This stuff is great, and Dave and I use it as well.
- Beautycounter Bundle Collection — This is easily one of the best baby shower presents. You get an oil, a protective balm (think diaper cream), and a baby body wash. These products are uber gentle and uber effective. This set isn’t just great for babies, there are uses for the whole fam bam (the oil and the balm are amazing multi-taskers)!
- Shea Moisture Kids Extra Moisturizing Detangler — I wish I could find a photo to show you, but Aria wakes up in the morning with a massive bird’s nest on the back of her head. It is a hot mess, and this detangler spray has been an answer to our we-want-to-have-our-kids-be-somewhat-presentable prayers.
I hope these give you some options to work with as you’re looking for cleaner and safer options for your little ones! Comment below with any other safer swaps you’d like to share with us! Please let me know if you have any questions or need any help finding safer options!