It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been able to post. Ok, that’s a lie. I could have been posting this whole time, but i’ve been in a weird funk. Multiple drafts have been started, but i’ve just stopped part way through. Anyway, this is a recipe post and not an update you on my life post, so let’s save that for another time and move on :).
The weather here in Santa Barbara has been bizarre. We had a cold spell, and just in the last couple of days, i’ve been sweating my butt off. Anyone who knows me, I sport a mean sweat-stache. There’s no preventative solution that i’ve found; there’s only wiping it off. If there’s something you know that I don’t, please tell me in the comments below. You’d literally be changing my face’s life =p.
What does that have anything to do with a recipe post you ask? Good question. Well, since it was hot. I wanted something cold to drink that packed a good punch of protein.
The folks at Naturade were kind enough to send me some of their Plant Based VeganSmart All in One Nutritional Shake to try out. No one in our household has a vegan diet. However, we’re always down to diversify the products we use. I’ve used this in a couple of different ways; the recipe that i’m sharing below is definitely by favorite way to use this blend.
Before I get into the recipe, I just wanted to share what I do love about this VeganSmart formula:
- It (each serving) includes 20 grams of a complete plant-based protein blend
- It includes 9 different fruits/vegetables, so you’re getting whole foods
- There are 22 vitamins and minerals to support healthy cell function
- The 7 grams of dietary fiber will help keep you regular
- The Omega-3’s in it support healthy brain, heart and circulatory systems
- The prebiotics help with the growth and maintenance of good intestinal flora (basically helping you with gut health)
- The digestive enzyme blend is going to help you digest food more completely, so that you can absorb more of their nutrients
Mexican Hot Chocolate Slushy Recipe
- 8 ounces almond milk (or the milk of your choosing–I linked to the kind I like to use b/c it doesn’t have carageenan, but the Amazon price is crazy. It’s just for reference)
- 2 scoops of the VeganSmart nutritional shake mix
- 1 tsp cinnamon*
- 1/8 tsp salt (my fave to use is pink Himalayan salt)*
- 1/8 tsp cayenne*
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder (I like that extra chocolatey-ness that this adds, but not necessary)
- 1 cup of ice (more or less depending on how slushy you want it)
- *=add more or less to your liking
Blend all the ingredients together in a blender, and enjoy. You’ll only get the slushy effect if you drink it right away. Otherwise, it’ll just taste like a nice cold chocolate milk situation (not a bad a thing).
Have you tried any Naturade products? Go check out their website. Along with other flavors and nutritional shake blends for different dietary needs, they have lots of other products for healthy living.
[I would like to say that after i’ve been using this for a while, I really enjoy it. The only thing i’m not a HUGE fan of is that it’s a little sweet for my liking. There are only 5 grams of sugar per serving, but I generally like protein powders where I have a bit more control over the sweetness. I will continue to use this, but I won’t add a fully ripened banana or anything else that will add to it’s sweetness. That’s one of the reasons why I like this recipe because the salt and other spices really balance everything out. They didn’t pay or sponsor me to do this post, BTW. All opinions are truly my own.]